Source: Tomader Almeshal & Areej Alhogail, "Blockchain for Businesses: A Scoping Review of Suitability Evaluations Frameworks" in IEEE Access, vol. 9 (pp. 155,425-155,442) (Nov. 2021)
"[A] key question relates to the matter of how to determine whether a blockchain solution is suitable for a given business; if so, which configuration of a blockchain system should be used?" (Id. at 155,246)
To address these threshold issues / gateway (see also Field Note 38: On "The Threshold Question"), Almeshal & Alhogail survey a range of deployed frameworks that directly touch business use cases (vs. purely technical considerations).
The survey is useful in its guiding light, but not in specifically and directly advocating a particular methodology. As it relates to my particular interest (investing, risk-taking), more work is to be done.
But now, I have at least collected some tasty breadcrumbs ("further reading" bulleted below).
Staring at this resource pile (below), it is useful here to recall the wisdom of the inimitable Alan Watts:
- S. Smetanin et. al., "Blockchain Evaluation Approaches" in Sensors, vol. 20, no. 12 (2020)
- R. Colomo-Palacios et. al., "A Critical Review on Blockchain Assessment Initiatives" in J. Software, Evol. Process, vol. 32, no. 11 (2020)
- O. Labazova, "Towards a Framework for Evaluation of Blockchain Implementations" in Proc. ICIS (2019)
- Kar and Navin, "Diffusion of Blockchain in Insurance Industry" in Telematics Info., vol. 58 (2021)
- Koens and Poll, "What Blockchain Alternative Do You Need?" in Proc. Int. Workshop Data Privacy Management (2018)
- Gourisetti et. al., "Evaluation and Demonstration of Blockchain Applicability Framework" in IEEE Trans. Engl. Management, vol. 67, no. 4 (2020)
- Almekhlafi and Al-Shaibany, "The Literature Review of Blockchain Adoption" in Asian. J. Res. Comp. Sci., vol. 7, no. 2 (2021)
- Betzwieser et. al., "A Decision Model for the Implementation of Blockchain Solutions" in Proc. 25th AMCIS (2019)
- Klein et. al., "A Use Case Identification Framework and Use Case Canvas for Identifying and Exploring Relevant Blockchain Opportunities" in Proc. ERCIM Blockchain Workshop, no. 10 (2018)
- Fridgen et. al., "Developing an Evaluation Framework for Blockchain in the Public Sector" in Proc. 1st ERCIM Blockchain Workshop (2018)
- Lapointe and Fishbane, "The Blockchain Ethical Design Framework" in Innov., Tech., Governance, Globalization, vol. 12, nos. 3-4 (2019)
- Wibowo and Hw, "Blockchain Implementation Assessment Framework" in ICISS (2018)
- Warren et. al., "Building Value with Blockchain Technology: How to Evaluate Blockchain's Benefits" in World Econ Forum (2019)